Tales of our journey
through the digital
6 Things You Can Do Right Now to Ensure Success in 2012
Projects are winding down; office parties are ramping up. Before you take off for the holidays is the perfect time to reflect on what’s happened and think about goals for the coming year. Here’s our checklist of things to do now to position yourself for success in 2012.
Review your web analytics package.
Be sure to look at 2011 data as well as 2011 vs 2010 data in order to look for trends. Pay special attention to:
- Top terms driving traffic and conversions to your website
- Which referring sites drive the most traffic and conversions
- Review all your goals, conversion funnels and goal values. Are they still accurate and in-line with your business goals?
- Look for seasonal trends. Does traffic fall off each year at certain times? When does your audience start searching for holiday or seasonal terms?
- How much of your traffic is coming from mobile devices? Has it grown from the previous year?
- Make sure you’re familiar with the new version of Google Analytics (if that’s what you use) since Google will be retiring the old version early in 2012.
Review the terms you are currently targeting on your website
- Are the terms you are currently targeting on your site (copy, title tags) still the most relevant?
- Use Google Insights for Search to determine what the popular search terms are that you are not getting traffic for.
Review your social media efforts and channels
- Add a Google+ page for your business or a Pinterest pinboard if you have a visual business (like a photographer or artist).
- Review all your social media profiles and ensure your address, hours, website, graphics, etc. are all up to date.
- Review and update your social media goals.
Plan your promotions
- Based on what you’ve learned so far, you should have a better idea of when you’ll need special promotions, when you’ll need an advertising campaign.
- Determine which channels you’ll use for each promotion – Facebook ad, Google Adwords, banner ads, mobile ads, coupon/deal sites, etc.
- Ensure that you include time to create landing pages for each promotion.
Review or create your mobile strategy
- Review your site in a mobile browser.
- Ensure visitors can complete the most important tasks easily.
- Consider a mobile version of your site or an app.
Create an informed editorial calendar
- Using everything you’ve learned, create an editorial calendar.
- Include blog posts, social media campaigns and promotions.
- Include content updates and new content creation with the existing and new keywords.
- Include your mobile content creation
- Stick to the plan, allowing yourself some leeway for breaking news and shifts in the market.
Get stuck along the way? Not sure where to start? Innate can help! Contact us and we’ll work with you to put the right plan in place for success.