Tales of our journey
through the digital
Beyond Analytics Basics: Now What?
Maybe you’re starting an analytics program for your organization for this first time. Maybe your boss just handed you the keys to Omniture. Or maybe you’re the Web Guy/Girl and the VP wants to know “how many visitors did we get last week from the U.K.?”
You kinda mostly know the basics — unique visitors, page views, bounce rate — but you know it’s not enough. In the words of Google’s Avinash Kaushik, you want to become an analytics “ninja.”
Now what? How do you get there from here?
Luckily, there are a lot of great resources available, beginning with Avinash himself.
Here are a few of our favorites.
- Avinash’s blog, Occam’s Razor. Contains a wealth of information on how to get started and how to dig deeper.
- Avinash’s book with Jim Sterne, “Web Analytics an Hour a Day”
- Brian Clifton’s “Advanced Web Metrics with Google Analytics”. From setup to segmentation and more.
- Brian’s Measuring Success blog.
- The Google Analytics blog. For insights direct from the source.
- The Web Analytics Demystified blog by Eric T. Petersen.
- Justin Cutroni’s Analytics Talk blog.
- And when you just can’t figure out why something isn’t working, or how to apply an advanced technique, the Web Analytics group on Yahoo. Members are knowledgeable and helpful.
If you’re familiar with these resources, tell us what you think.
If you’re already a ninja, how did you get there? What are your top resources?